The department was established in 1951 just after independence of India in order to cater the need of a new-born country. The Department of Electrical Engineering is one of the first three engineering departments, started in 1951, with the first batch of students being selected from B.Sc. graduates and a few M. Sc. students. During the first two years the lecture classes and electrical machines laboratory were organized in the present old building and surrounding sheds. By February 1954, the ground floor laboratories of Electrical Machines and Electrical Measurements were set up in the present location.